Thursday, September 29, 2011

Devotion Thoughts - 26/05/2011

2 Samuel 9:1-13

David asked if there were any of Saul's family left so that he could show kindness to them for Jonathan's sake (v.1). {My paraphrase}.

Having promised Jonathan that he would show kindness to his descendants (1 Samuel 20:14,42), David did so once he was established in his kingdom. He was a man who kept his promises, which is according to God's description of him as 'a man after my own heart'. God expects us to keep the promises we make in life.

2 Samuel 10:1-19

David went to meet [his envoys] for they felt greatly ashamed of their treatment, and he told them to remain in Jericho until their beards had grown and they felt comfortable about returning home (v.5).

This is another incident that confirms that David was a thoughtful man. Having been embarrassed by their treatment at the hands of the Ammonites, David went personally to comfort them, and told them to stay in Jericho until they were ready to return home. It was this sort of conduct that made David popular with his people.

2 Samuel 11:1-27

When the mourning period was over, David sent for [Bathsheba]. She became his wife, and bare him a son. But what he had done displeased the LORD (v.27).

What a blemish on David's character! We have been reading about David being a man of his word and very thoughtful of others. Now, however, we find him concealing his adultery by arranging for the murder of the husband! Of course God was displeased, and was not going to allow David to get away with it.

We all commit sin! Fortunately our wonderful God does not write us off or stop using us for His service. However, sin always has consequences. The son born to David and Bathsheba from the adulterous relationship died, as God had said he would. But we can be encouraged in that God did not hold their sin against them forever. After losing the son born of their adultery, their next son, Solomon, became king, even though he was not the oldest of David's sons.

Psalm 119:49-64

Remember Your word to me, Your servant, by which You caused me to hope. It comforts me in my affliction, for that word from You inspired me (vv.49,50).

When God called me into full-time ministry He did so by using certain verses of Scripture. Through the years those verses have kept me on track, helping me to remember that I am a servant of the Lord. At times when I have not seen the purpose in some of the things that happened in my life, those verses assured me that God would work things out in my life; all I had to do was be a faithful servant.
If God has given you messages of hope, trust them. Like a spiritual life belt, they will keep you afloat until the Lord lifts you out of the stormy waves of doubt and confusion.

Proverbs 16:1-3

Commit your works to the LORD, then what you have envisioned will happen (v.3). {My paraphrase}.

First, the Lord lays on our hearts certain things He wants us to do. We spend time praying over them, and getting some clarity about how they can become reality. The next stage is to let the Lord know that you are ready to proceed, and how you plan to proceed, and pray for Him for the means to complete the thing planned. God then makes it become a reality.
It really is that simple, but sometimes our faith is tested while we wait for God to act!


Powered by Zoundry Raven

No comments:

Post a Comment