Wednesday, February 9, 2011

CHRISTIAN POETRY: GOD'S LOVE (A child's view)


About the love of God:
I still remember something of the sense of wonderment I experienced when I listened to one of my Sunday School teachers, Miss Milly Dudley, as she told Bible stories about God's love. Love for God seemed so natural to her that I had the feeling she was in contact with Him all the time. I wondered why such a loving person had never married and had children. It was only years later, after her death, that I learned that she had been engaged but her fiancĂ© had gone ‘up north’ (i.e. from South Africa to Europe) during WWI and was killed during one of the many futile charges across no man’s land that so wastefully cost many lives. I like to believe that when he died his one thought was that he was doing so out of love for Miss Milly, to protect her from their enemy.

That is what Jesus did. Out of His great love, He gave His life to protect us from Satan whose one desire is to deceive us and ruin us in every way. As a tribute to Miss Milly I have written the following poem in the words of a child.

GOD'S LOVE (A child's view)

God's love is like a blue, blue sky
that makes our spirits soar.
We never have enough of it
so God gives more and more.

God's love is like much needed rain
that cools the thirsty land;
and, like all other precious things,
is what for us He planned.

God's love is like a myriad stars
that twinkle in the night.
The darkened corners of our lives
He fills with heavenly light.

God's love is like a golden sun
that warms us through and through,
inspires our hearts, and joy imparts
like nothing else can do.

God's love is like a breath of air
which we all need to live.
It guarantees that we will have
the best that He can give.

God's love is seen in nature's charms,
proclaimed from earth to sky.
It sends His glorious message out:
Come! Dwell with me on high!

(8 February 2011).
………

No comments:

Post a Comment