Monday, January 25, 2010

CHRISTIAN POETRY

Let us not therefore judge one another any more: but judge this rather, that no man put a stumbling-block or an occasion to fall in his brother's way. (Romans 14:13)

THE CHALLENGE

I could not sleep for I was challenged
by an overheard remark.
'Call yourself a Christian? Then I don't need it!'
Not said to me personally,
but nevertheless a challenge.
For I am part of that body;
the Christian body
to which all believers belong.
It is the body of God's people;
called to be one; united in Him.
But we behave like separate parts;
by wrong actions that speak louder than right words,
thereby hurting that holy body.
Is our faith irrelevant? Like a rainless cloud?
Those not of Christ's body think so.
They will never find God, scorning Him
thanks to the members of His body; like you and me.

They despise our unconvincing pretensions to spirituality
that switch them away from learning about
He Who can give them Life Everlasting; Salvation.

'O, Lord, let it not be I
who cheapens Your image,
and withholds Your love for those not of Your body.
Correct me and all those in Your body
whose loveless deeds turn others off.
Make us one; united in Your love'.

With troubled mind
I slip out of bed and, broken,
bow my head low.
I unburden before God.
I weep for myself and my brethren.
I claim forgiveness for what I have done
to hurt my Lord and others.

God is so gracious!
Slow to anger; swift to forgive!

There is release! My burden is gone!
Yes, I, too am guilty but, hearing my confession,
my Lord forgives and forgets!
Praise His name!

I know I cannot change others;
only God can do that (if they ask Him to).
But He has changed me. Right after my confession.
With God's help I will learn to love all others.
Without conditions. Just as Jesus did.

And now I can sleep!
…………

No comments:

Post a Comment